Re: [poll] Ubuntu column on DDPO visible by default?

On 26/08/10 at 08:36 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so the purpose of the ubuntu column is to tell the world and me, that Ubuntu
> is the desktop variant of Debian?

The PTS and DDPO are developer views. I don't think that many users use
them. And last time I checked, there was no Ubuntu link on
http://packages.debian.org/ ;-)

I use the info in that column to improve my Debian packages, by making
sure that I address the bugs found in my packages in Ubuntu (many of my
packages are low-popcon ones that don't get many bugs, and it often
happens that bugs are simply not reported by Debian users).

> I knew that Debian sucked at marketing, but this is impressive.

I don't think that the PTS and DDPO are relevant for marketing. But even
if they were, there are easy ways to turn that into something positive,
along the lines of: "Debian cares about its users, but also about Free
Software in general. We work with our derivatives and monitor the bug
trackers of our major derivatives to be able to fix the issues reported
by our derivatives' users, and improve both Debian and the Free Software
world in general."

> P.S.: IOW: why should the _Debian_ PTS care about a single, derivative and
> highlight that in its PTS? (By default, for all users. Having that column on
> demand is a nice thing for those who care. But enabling it for all and by
> default is IMO a marketing desaster, also for internal "marketing" and
> motivation....)

I'm not aware of any other Debian derivative that has a bug tracker with
sufficiently useful info to be added to the PTS. Nexenta could become
one at some point, but it seems that they are not there yet.

- Lucas