Re: Too much disruptive NMUs

On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:43:57 +0200
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 12:32:47PM +0200, Ricardo Mones wrote:
> > > So? NMUs are not only for serious bugs.
> >
> >   Then, as Ana said, the developers reference should be changed because
> >   that's just the opposite of the first point in 5.11.1 "When and how to
> > do an NMU": «Does your NMU really fix bugs? Fixing cosmetic issues or
> >   changing the packaging style in NMUs is discouraged.»
>
> No, logics fails here. Between serious bugs and cosmetic issues there's
> a huge range of possibilities.

  Completely agree.

> For instance, NMU are allowed for important bugs (see the suggested
> upload delays in devref §5.11.1) and fixing those does not qualify as
> making cosmetic changes; well, at least it does not according to my own
> interpretation of it.

  Exactly, but not for rewriting rules for dh (for example). For that one
  there's already a process: orphan + QA (or adopt), but not NMU.

  If the problem here is that orphaning takes too long then it should be
  shortened, not bypased using NMUs for QA uploads of non-orphaned packages.

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones
 http://people.debian.org/~mones