Re: Prototype script to determine last commit and last upload.

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 04:35:10PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Recently the Pkg-Java Team decided to try and remove inactive people
> from the team and from the Uploaders Field of packages.

Hi Niels, thank for this couple of scripts. Personally, I'd like to have
some similar helpers in devscripts instead of several debian/rules
snippets that various teams are using, opening up for very different
behaviors across teams. That said, I think your solution is a bit
over-engineered, let me explain why.

The fact that you look for commits hints, to me, that somehow you don't
trust debian/changelog as documentation of who-did-what. I understand
one can commit to a package repository without changing
debian/changelog, but this is not a recommended practice. Additionally
the integration of debian/changelog with tools like debcommit is somehow
reassuring in having changes documented there.

If you add the assumption that you only consider changes which are
documented in debian/changelog, you can basically get rid of all the
mailing list archive retrieving and parsing dance.  At that point, also
debian/changelog parsing can be a bit easier, instead of looking for
proper email addresses you just look for names that can appear either in
changelog "signatures" or inside brackets "[ Name Family ]".

What do you think?
Thanks for raising this subject.
Cheers.