Re: UDD and DEHS (Was: Please provide a simple example)

On 13/02/09 at 11:51 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
>>> Well, January is over. ;-)
>>> Any news regarding watch file information.
>>
>> erm, no, unfortunately. Want to work on it? :-)
>
> I prefer to work on things I have enough knowledge first - perhaps
> some people who harvested watch file information at other places would
> like to step in?

Are you interested in DEHS (whether a given package is up-to-date or
not), or in the raw debian/watch content?

>>>    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/<dist>/main/i18n/
>>>
>>> and injects the following structure in UDD:
>>>
>>>    package, language, version, distribution, release, component (='main'),
>>>    description, long_description
>>
>> Sounds good. Maybe reorder them a bit:
>>    package, version, distribution, release, component (='main'),
>>    language, description, long_description
>
> I actually have no strong opinion about the order - you invented UDD
> and have probably some bigger scheme in mind ...
> I rather wonder what you think about component because according to
> current DDTP data it is always 'main' - but in the future this might
> perhaps change.  On the other hand the info is reduncant because you
> might be able to obtain
>    distribution, release, component
> from packages table if you have
>    package, version  .
> I would like to know what degree of normalisation you might have in mind.

It depends on your data source. I'm not familiar with DDTP. If (package,
version) is enough as a primary key, let's just use that.
component is main, contrib, or non-free for Debian.

>>> I just have written code which parses the translation files - so it
>>> is not a big deal to inject this into UDD.  I would like to change
>>> my tasks pages code to gather this information from UDD afterwards.
>>> The rationale behind this is that it is cheap for me to provide this
>>> info for UDD (because the main part of the code is written) and IMHO
>>> it makes perfectly sense to store this in UDD for other usage than
>>> Blends tasks pages.
>>
>> Do you want to write the UDD importer yourself? We could give you gid
>> uddadm.
>
> That was basically ma suggestion.  Any example importers to let me
> see how it works?

Sure, see http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/collab-qa/udd/udd/. The lintian,
debtags and popcon importers are good & simple examples.