Re: UDD and DEHS (Was: Please provide a simple example)

Adding Cc: debian-qa@

On 13/02/09 at 10:35 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
>>> I wonder what might be your opinion about watch file information in UDD.
>>> Do you see any chance that this might happen soon?
>>
>> I was very busy recently (I just defended my PhD), so I haven't done
>> much work on UDD. However, I really plan to get back to work soon.
>>
>> So, yes, it might happen during january.
>
> Well, January is over. ;-)
> Any news regarding watch file information.

erm, no, unfortunately. Want to work on it? :-)

> I had some look into UDD now and I'm really excited.  I will probably port
> the tasks / bugs pages generating code soon to use UDD.
>
> As you might have noticed I'm keen on DDTP translations on our tasks pages
> and I noticed that this information is missing in UDD.  I would volunteer
> to write some code which parses
>
>    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/<dist>/main/i18n/
>
> and injects the following structure in UDD:
>
>    package, language, version, distribution, release, component (='main'),
>    description, long_description

Sounds good. Maybe reorder them a bit:
    package, version, distribution, release, component (='main'),
    language, description, long_description

> I just have written code which parses the translation files - so it
> is not a big deal to inject this into UDD.  I would like to change
> my tasks pages code to gather this information from UDD afterwards.
> The rationale behind this is that it is cheap for me to provide this
> info for UDD (because the main part of the code is written) and IMHO
> it makes perfectly sense to store this in UDD for other usage than
> Blends tasks pages.

Do you want to write the UDD importer yourself? We could give you gid
uddadm.

> Perhaps even better would be a direct injection of the data by DDTP
> team - but I would like to hear your opinion about DDTP data in UDD
> first.

I think I discussed that with Nicolas Francois at FOSDEM, and it sounded
like a good idea.

> Another type of data I would really like to see in UDD is data from
> screenshot.debian.net.

both images and metadata? or only metadata?

> Is it correct to discuss this kind of issues on debian-qa@l.d.o?
> I wrote for the moment in private because I was quoting a private mail
> from you - feel free to quote everything of my mail on debian-qa.

Yup. Cc added.