Re: [Fwd: gmanedit 0.4.2-3]

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:13:43PM +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Hello. I sent the following mail almost a week ago to the Uploader for
> gmanedit, and got no reply.
>
> Notice that my new package solves a buffer overflow that is triggered
> quite often and renders the package partly unusable.
>
> It's not clear to me if what I'm trying to do is more similar to a QA
> upload or a NMU...

What you're trying to do is definitely more an NMU, as the package is
not officially orphaned (yet?). In theory, one can do directly a QA
upload for abandoned packages, but the current state of maintenance of
gmanedit IMO does not justify that (no RC bugs, only one serious bug,
which is just one week old).

You should go for an NMU if you really want to fix that, a sponsored one
I presume. To find a sponsor for that you should follow the usual
procedure. Please note however that we have specific recommended upload
delays for NMUs, check developer's reference §5.11.1 for the actual
values.

While I'm at it, AFAICT your bug report about the buffer overflow should
have been tagged security, possibly prodding the security team about it
(I haven't checked the details though).

Cheers.