Re: Time for a new maintainer for Auctex?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:22:17AM +0200, Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> actually I am not presenting any argument.

Your arguing actually was:

  ... you can start by studying how the software
  is packaged and of course you are welcome to send in patches.

as a response to a patch which was provided inside #539749.  I'd
call this weak arguing (at best).

> AT> I admit I'm a bit sick of people who force me to apply patches
> AT> myself and build local packages if I want to use recent high popcon
> AT> software like Emacs 23 who are not even be able to say sorry for not
> AT> beeing active to potential helpers.
>
> It is not my intent to force people.  If you feel so inclined, please do
> a NMU.

The problem does not qualify for a NMU and you leave potential helpers
completely unclear about your intentions.  So I'm forced to find a
private solution if I do not want to conflict to our social standards.

> I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean about "being active to
> potential helpers".

Well, if I would be inactive and realise that I'm a blocker of a package
I would say sorry to my fellow developers for doing so and enable them
to change the status.

> AT> BTW, it's no shame to group maintain a package it's a way to face
> AT> real live if you are busy with other stuff.
>
> The package is comaintained, and qualified people are always welcome
> (Frank Küster being the most prominent, looking to past history).

debian/control says:

Maintainer: Davide G. M. Salvetti <salve@debian.org>
Uploaders: OHURA Makoto <ohura@debian.org>

but the changelog has not a single upload of OHURA Makoto
<ohura@debian.org>.  So what exactly are you talking about?

A good example for a team maintenance is the
  Debian TeX Maintainers <debian-tex-maint@lists.debian.org>

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--