Re: [floppy installs] would someone consider upgrading the floppy images ?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:11:10 +0100
Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:12:00PM +0100, Joyce Markoll wrote:
> > > My demand is a wish that the floppy image base be upgraded,

> > > and
> > > additionnally, that some floppy web page links would point to the
> > > exact CD iso image that can fit with the kernel/initrd/drivers
> > > version in the floppy images,

> You should have contacted debian-boot@ instead of debian-qa@ as the
> floppy images are part of the debian-installer.  This is probably the
> reason why your emails has been unanswered until now.

Hello,

And thanks for your answer. The problem is there are so many
mailing-lists, and there is the need for so much knowledge to know where
to post what, I asked for advise on a chan once, for the
"where-to-post-this-all" questions, as I found many little annoyances while
installing/configuring/starting to use Debian. So I subscribed here as I
thought I might try to contribute by posting here and there about thoses
annoyances. (Obsolete packages or else).

The fact is I couldn't have fancy what you just explained : that is is
part of the installer, and that it belongs do debian-boot@ list to take a
look to that matter.

> As you can read on the current errata page [1], floppy based
> installations are not possible with Lenny debian-installer.  The root
> cause is the size of the kernel which keeps growing, and the
> incompatibility [2] between upx-ucl [3] and Linux 2.6.26.  Without the
> size reduction provided by compressing the kernel, the image really
> exceeds the floppy capacity.
>
> Good news is that support for better compression algorithms (bzip2 and
> lzma) have reached newer Linux versions, and we should be able to
> support floppy again for Squeeze.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/490149
> [3] http://packages.debian.org/upx-ucl