Re: [floppy installs] would someone consider upgrading the floppy images ?

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:12:00PM +0100, Joyce Markoll wrote:
> > My demand is a wish that the floppy image base be upgraded, and
> > additionnally, that some floppy web page links would point to the exact
> > CD iso image that can fit with the kernel/initrd/drivers version in the
> > floppy images, because at this point also I didn't know where to get the
> > right version for this 2.6.18-etch3, and I put a former CD 1 Etch that I
> > have, in the tray.

You should have contacted debian-boot@ instead of debian-qa@ as the floppy
images are part of the debian-installer.  This is probably the reason
why your emails has been unanswered until now.

As you can read on the current errata page [1], floppy based
installations are not possible with Lenny debian-installer.  The root
cause is the size of the kernel which keeps growing, and the
incompatibility [2] between upx-ucl [3] and Linux 2.6.26.  Without the size
reduction provided by compressing the kernel, the image really exceeds
the floppy capacity.

Good news is that support for better compression algorithms (bzip2 and
lzma) have reached newer Linux versions, and we should be able to
support floppy again for Squeeze.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/490149
[3] http://packages.debian.org/upx-ucl

Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism
                                    `. `'`
                                      `-