Re: Xapian database to complement UDD

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:56:37AM +0000, Enrico Zini wrote:
> So I was thinking: how if I set up the machinery to generate and
> maintain a Xapian database, alongside UDD, with information about
> Debian packages, that is accessible by the same machines that UDD is
> accessible from?  That would allow to write applications that take
> advantage of both.

Thanks for the nice idea.

But still, I'm dreaming of a bit more of an integration. One of the
nice things of UDD is its consistent and relatively well-known
interface: SQL queries.

Would it be possible, by the means of some Postgres extension written
in $PROG_LANG, to query a local Xapian database *from SQL*? There are
many full text searches implementations for Postgres, I'm wondering
whether we can use an external one based on Xapian.

I leave the answer to our beloved Postgres gurus :-)

/me just to throwing another idea in the bag.
Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right