Re: Severity of "should this package be orphaned/removed" bugs

On 31/03/08 at 20:13 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> >> Either it should have been PROP_O or strong arguments should be given
> >> IMHO like I said above... Just telling that if the maintainer doesn't
> >> agree they can orphan without mentioning any arguments not to remove is
> >> not the way to go for PROP_RM IMHO...
> >
> > I prefer to be less confronting, and keep the option open for the
> > maintainer to orphan the package instead of removing it. After all, once
> > it's orphaned, it's easy to remove it. And if the maintainer doesn't
> > justify its choice, it's easy to ask. In my experience, maintainers have
> > been mostly responsive about such queries.
> >
> > Also, the person filing the bug report might not know the package
> > very well, and can make mistakes. I believe that it's important to stay
> > on the safe side by not being too aggressive, if possible.
>
> That's perfectly ok, though then I don't see any reason to have the bug
> report be RC severity by default?

Filing PROP_RM bugs as RC bugs allows the release team to remove the
package from testing and use that bug to block migration to testing. In
the case of PROP_O, it might not be a good thing, but in the case of
PROP_RM, it's clearly a good thing, since:
(1) we don't want to release with packages that should probably be removed
(2) making those bugs RC increase the visibility of the bugs, and makes
it easier to gather comments from others

If you want to remove from testing the packages that are marked PROP_RM,
simply use
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=proposed-removal;users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org;dist=testing
(only 2 packages are in that case)