Re: Severity of "should this package be orphaned/removed" bugs

(Dropping Cc on #453487 and Moritz since the reason for the upgrade of
this bug was clarified already)

On 27/03/08 at 19:22 +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > We really need to clarify the severities for the "Should this
>
> > package be orphaned/removed" bugs.
> > I would agree to go with:
> > - serious for "proposed removal" bugs
> > - important for "proposed orphan" bugs. After all, we release with a lot
> >   of orphaned packages, and unmaintained packages aren't really
> >   different.
> > However, I fear that, since the "proposed orphan" bugs won't be RC, some
> > maintainers might ignore them more easily. Also, it prevents them from
> > being listed in ddpo-by-mail, for example.
>
> Maintainers ignoring bugs is kind of the problem, so is not really an
> argument...

Sure, but it's slightly harder to miss RC bugs than other bugs.

> ddpo-by-mail could probably easily be updated to include bugs with a
> particular subject pattern? So also not a real argument AFAICS...

Except that code has to be written to handle that special case.

> > Luk, what are the reasons why you think that severity: important is more
> > suitable than severity: serious? If it's only because it blocks testing
> > transitions, we could mark the bugs as found in the testing version
> > where needed, so testing transitions can still happen.
>
> Testing migration is certainly an issue.

So we could mark the bugs as found in the testing versions, to avoid
migration problems. It's not a real argument either.

OK, I will send a mail to -devel@ to mention that change of policy.

> PROP_RM bugs could be RC severity, but if so I would remove the
> mentioning of orphaning in the template so it's clear for everyone that
> it should not be used lightly and strong arguments are needed for
> orphaning instead of removal...

I would personally prefer to keep the mentioning of orphaning in the
template, because it allows for a "way out" of the problem that should
be mentioned. A maintainer might agree to orphan a package, but disagree
to take the decision to remove it.