Re: remove xview?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:35:10PM +0100, Martin Buck wrote:
> >  - only few reverse dependencies
> >  - relatevely low popcon count 500

> Rank #6235 might be relatively low, but in that case, there are 10000s of
> packages that would be candidates for removal...

Low installation count alone does not make a package removal candinate.
The lack of upstream, quality problems of code, lack of debian maintainers,
lack of unique features are bigger reasons. Those reasons can however
be overriden if there is large user base who we can't offer a
better alternative.

> And you haven't explained what harm is caused by keeping xview in the
> archive for some more time.

The main problem is that if there is neither active upstream nor package
maintainers, any problems of package fall into the hands of the
overworked QA, release, and security teams.

The other way around, what extra value does xview bring to new Debian
users?

oldtimers will still have their existing xview installed, they are just
not going to get any new versions for it (which they havent' for years
anyway).

> I'd suggest to give me a chance to do a final xview release for lenny. If
> then nobody adopts xview after I orphan it, you can still remove it after
> the lenny release.

Sure, removal actions never happen overnight anyway. But the call is not
really mine, QA and release people have a more final word than I have.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups