Re: remove xview?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 03:09:53PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> After considering porter NMU on xview, I think x11 toolkit can safely
> be canned as museumware. Most damning is the lack of 64bit support.
> See #228957 and #320155, although a patch was produduced nobody bothered,
> applying it, nor is the author confident that patch is correct.

So far I haven't seen a patch that doesn't fall into the category "ugly
hack that works around the most obvious problems but is guaranteed not to
be correct". I tried doing one myself, but with the braindamaged ABIs on
ia64 and amd64, this is close to impossible.

> xview
>  - not available on 64bit architectures

Right (except for alpha), but I fail to see why this forces us to also not
make it available for 32bit architectures.

>  - upstream dead. last (minor) upstream version released 1997
>  - last maintainer upload 2 years ago

My fault. I'm still planning a final cleanup release before I orphan xview,
but I've been distracted by real life recently.

>  - only few reverse dependencies
>  - relatevely low popcon count 500

Rank #6235 might be relatively low, but in that case, there are 10000s of
packages that would be candidates for removal...

And you haven't explained what harm is caused by keeping xview in the
archive for some more time.

I'd suggest to give me a chance to do a final xview release for lenny. If
then nobody adopts xview after I orphan it, you can still remove it after
the lenny release.

Martin