Re: remove xview?

Luk Claes wrote:
Jack T Mudge III wrote:
On Monday 14 January 2008 07:13:01 am Riku Voipio wrote:
It's not only lack of 64bit that makes xview a problem. If security
issues withing xview are found, it is unlikely that they get fixed
in a timely manner.
Sometimes I wish there were a security warning system in dpkg. Say, a user loads up Synaptic (or Adept, depending), and when they try to install a dangerous package -- maybe a server that opens ports by default -- they get a textual warning summarizing the problems, and pointing them to more information (/usr/share/doc/pkg_name/SECURITY, perhaps?).

It seems to me that removing old packages just because they are old misses an important point: There are people who use them. Perhaps warning them that the packages are ancient and may be dangerous to their health is a good thing. Removing xview or similar small, insignificant (to debian, not to the users necessarily), and old packages doesn't seem like it'd do much good. It would, however, annoy the users who DO still use them.

Removing old packages just because they are not maintained, have
(unknown) security issues and are almost not used is just making sure
that people don't install a package that is obsolete. People that are
using the package can continue using it or can decide to start using an
alternative...

How many popcon users does it take ... ?

This change would affect @ 80 popcon users. I don't know how many real users that translates to. I realise there are many other factors to this decision, but generally speaking what do most people consider the shelve-off point that would suggest a package is no longer worth maintaining?

cheers,

tim