Re: proposal: upload to the collab-maint repo orphaned packages

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> For the moment I've only had the time to read the slide, I'll postpone
> the .ogg. But indeed my proposal is exactly the same as yours ... and
> actually your slides contradict what you're claiming above. I guess
> that's because the discussion after the talk made you change your mind,
> right?

Yes.

> Anyhow, before following the past live discussion I'm still convinced
> it's a good idea for precisely the reasons you mentioned (playground for
> contributors, ability to commit for non-DDs, VCS support [e.g.
> history]) and also for others like the ability to easily work in a batch
> manner on a set of orphaned packages.

But where are the non-DD contributors that work on orphaned packages?
There are very few of them and in the case when we have someone, I'd
rather make them DM of those packages over time instead of using such an
infrastructure.

> > I'd rather not pollute the collab-maint repo too much with old crap. If we
> > really want this, we can have a dedicated qa-packages repository.
>
> Regarding this. It seems to me that the 2 subdirs in collab-maint
> orphaned/ and ext-maint/ actually contain packages, so I deduce that the
> idea is being used in practice. Or is it just old stuff no longer used
> nor encouraged? Can I check in there orphaned packages I want to work on
> or is this discouraged?

ext-maint is used by non-DD packagers right. But those packages are not
orphaned. For those in the oprhaned directory I have no idea what they
are. I haven't checked.

Raphaël Hertzog