Re: proposal: upload to the collab-maint repo orphaned packages

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> But ... it happened to me in the past that I was willing to fix a couple
> of bugs in an orphaned package but not to take over its maintenance. I
> guess it's a pretty common scenario. In those cases having it already in
> collab-maint would have eased my work. What's harmful in that?

The typical QA scenario is "apt-get source", hack, debuild, dput.
Precisely because the usual QA worker doesn't care enough about the
package, it's a one-shot work. So the reference is the archive itself and
the SVN in the middle is of very few help.

I already proposed what your describe 2 years ago at the QA meeting (with
adn and sukria):
Slide:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2005/qa-meeting-darmstadt/slides/2005-09-11_Collaborative-maintenance-by-external-contributors_Alexis-Sukrieh+Raphael-Hertzog+Mohammed-Adnene-Trojette/collab-maint.pdf
Video:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2005/qa-meeting-darmstadt/good-quality/ogg_theora/2005-09-11_Collaborative-maintenance-by-external-contributors_Alexis-Sukrieh+Raphael-Hertzog+Mohammed-Adnene-Trojette.ogg

You can see by yourself the discussions. :)

> - if we don't, we can request the package removal, in such a case would
>   it be a big deal to have package sources left over in collab-maint? I
>   don't think so

I'd rather not pollute the collab-maint repo too much with old crap. If we
really want this, we can have a dedicated qa-packages repository.

> Well, no. I'm just proposing a technical solution to ease working on
> orphaned packages, I'm not affecting (or at least it's not my intention,
> nor the foreseeable future I imagine) in any way how long a package
> would remain in the orphaned status, not what are the consequences of
> being in that status.

Using a SCM is not easing our QA work because precisely there's very few
coordination to do... I don't remember any conflict of work on orphaned
packages.

Raphaël Hertzog