Re: proposal: upload to the collab-maint repo orphaned packages

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
Hi, maybe I'm proposing something obvious or already attempted in the
past here, ... but let's try anyway!

In order to spread the adagio that ``every DD is Debian QA'', what about
uploading to the collab-maint subversion repository on alioth [1] all
the orphaned packages which lack a collaborative maintenance repository
of their own? (of course then advertising the fact via the appropriate
Vcs-* fields)

This way every DD would be able to commit to the package giving some
help, no matter how small it will be.

Comments?

It's in my opinion not a good idea to promote orphaned packages. If an orphaned package is worth keeping, it should find a maintainer easily. Else it should be marked for removal, not added to the collab-maint svn repository IMHO.

What you propose is more or less adoption of all orphaned packages by everyone and no one in particular... My view on orphaned packages is not that everyone is co-maintainer of an orphaned package, but that there is at the moment no person wanting to maintain it...

Every DD is Debian QA by fixing bugs (especially RC ones) ;-)

Cheers

Luk