Re: autmatically generated watch file

On 8/6/07, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> wrote:

> I am afraid I disagree: a watch file inside a package cannot be updated
> without updating the package. That means watch files in packages in a
> stable Debian release are not going to get updated, they are there just
> to confuse people with old and wrong information.
>
> Having the watch file in a central place, where more or less anyone can
> update them (say, on Alioth in a suitable version control repository)
> sounds to me to be a much better way.

Indeed, stuff that can change independently of the package and stuff
that needs to be fluid should not be maintained in the source package.

The same situation exists for the Homepage pseudo-field, which, IMO
should be handled like debtags - the package contains no trace of them
and there is a web page/vcs that feeds the information into the
Sources/Packages files.

--
bye,
pabs