Re: autmatically generated watch file

On su, 2007-08-05 at 18:34 -0500, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> You mean, we shouldn't use watch files within packages? That's
> possible,
> of course, but it's the maintainers' job to inform QA or any other group
> of monkeys where future release should be fetched. The static package of
> course will point at a dynamic location, anyway.
>
> How could we avoid watch files to get outdated anyway? It can get
> outdated from inside or outside the package. It's better to be inside
> the package anyway.

I am afraid I disagree: a watch file inside a package cannot be updated
without updating the package. That means watch files in packages in a
stable Debian release are not going to get updated, they are there just
to confuse people with old and wrong information.

Having the watch file in a central place, where more or less anyone can
update them (say, on Alioth in a suitable version control repository)
sounds to me to be a much better way.

--
Latest nerd movie: Once were hackers