Re: Some ideas from the "Supporting 15.000 packages" BoF

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 01:07, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> Here's the ideas that I have heard (and written) during the "Supporting
> 15.000 packages" BoF which happened during DebConf7.

Good that there's discussion about this issue.

>  * Have a new release policy of not releasing orphaned packages in
>    stable.  Interested maintainers would then have to adopt them or
>    let them be removed by the Q&A team.

I do not agree with categorically excluding such packages. There are many
orphaned packages that work just fine. When some important issue comes up and
a QA upload squashes it, the package may be fine for years again. I therefore
think that any exclusion or removal should be judged by actual observed lack
of quality (e.g.: bugs, or obviously not useful anymore), not categorically
by maintenance status.

>  * If we drop security support for a package, user of stable should be
>    notified...

Once we've released a package in stable and as 'supported', we will support it
until the end of that stable's life. I would not want to retract the
supportedness of a package during stable's lifetime; our users should be able
to use stable with the expectation that what is claimed to be supported will
not be suddenly become unsupported while they've deployed it.

thanks,
Thijs