Re: Some ideas from the "Supporting 15.000 packages" BoF

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 11:38:19AM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
On Tuesday 26 June 2007 01:07, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
 * Have a new release policy of not releasing orphaned packages in
   stable.  Interested maintainers would then have to adopt them or
   let them be removed by the Q&A team.

I do not agree with categorically excluding such packages. There are many orphaned packages that work just fine. When some important issue comes up and a QA upload squashes it, the package may be fine for years again. I therefore think that any exclusion or removal should be judged by actual observed lack of quality (e.g.: bugs, or obviously not useful anymore), not categorically by maintenance status.

 * If we drop security support for a package, user of stable should be
   notified...

Once we've released a package in stable and as 'supported', we will support it until the end of that stable's life. I would not want to retract the supportedness of a package during stable's lifetime; our users should be able to use stable with the expectation that what is claimed to be supported will not be suddenly become unsupported while they've deployed it.

You can't have it both ways. Either we have to do a better job of keeping crap out of stable, or we have to find a way of communicating that stuff in stable can't be maintained (especially security-wise).
Mike Stone