Re: Comment

Andy,

Thanks for the considered reply,
I mostly just lurk on this list hoping that I'll learn something and generally only pipe up if I see someone suggesting dropping an audio app that I know to be useful or redeemable. My other concern is that Debian remains useful inside the recycling window [most of mine are 300Mhz - !GHz PIII based machines made @Y2K, so they're all at least 6 years old] It would be reasonable to expect reduced functionality on 90's hardware, but the boxes I have are still goers. I confess that I don't even bother plugging in the old inkjet printers, but I have a couple of old HP laserjets that definitely ain't broke yet. More to the point, people haven't started throwing 1GHz+ PIVs with USB printers at me just yet and this won't solve the ever mounting pile of genuinely redundant hardware (i.e. would not run a modern debian system acceptably) that I need to dispose of in a reasonably ecologically sound fashion. As a tester, I guess one of my functions is to flag up when the Minimum System Requirements for running Debian have gone up. I'm not presuming to command the waves here, but I think it's important to adequately document the situation and flag such changes. I'd be happy to come up with a suitable form of words if someone wants to tell me where I can stick it. ;)

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
There is a problem here which is common to all newer technology: it's hard to find spares for the older stuff. I haven't seen a printer that supports parallel port for sale in, probably, a couple of years. The Samsung ML1210 I bought then supports both - the slightly newer models _only_ support USB. It's got to the stage where a Centronics printer lead - if you can find one - is going to cost you half the price of a cheap new printer which includes its first cartridges. HP Deskjet cartridges are £20-25 each and you can buy a new printer for less than £75.

My concern here is supporting recyclables. I still get given this stuff. Obviously if supporting older hardware breaks support for newer hardware, that's a problem too.

This post and the one which preceded it will probably supply the answer
or some approximation to it:

lsmod | grep parport.ko if not found insmod parport.ko ; (insmod parport_pc.ko if necessary)
then update the initramfs / add the module names to /etc/modules

	update-initramfs -u -k all

Thanks, that's much more graceful than my hacked up work around, can I quote you on this, if I need to field this sort of query in future?

Finding out whether there is a bug report which adequately reflects the severity of the situation would be tedious enough to put off all but the most hardened users from reporting it.

Google will find this post :)

Yeah, I know. I guess anyone savvy enough to recycle older hardware can google for it, I'll concede that.

Pob Hwyl / Cheers,

tim
/|\