Re: Comment

Hi Andy,

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:05:56AM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
 printing failed to a
huge bug in lpr (#422177), which forgot to install the module for parallel port.

I suspect you may have fallen foul of the fact that few people use lpr any more and that CUPS seems to have taken over. Also, possibly, that more and more people are using printers with USB connectivity. Switch
to using CUPS and its associated drivers?

The Parallel port problem affects CUPS too unfortunately, its solution is not going to be obvious to less experienced users. Finding out whether there is a bug report which adequately reflects the severity of the situation would be tedious enough to put off all but the most hardened users from reporting it. If Debian really is going to stop supporting parallel printers, then it does need flagging up rather more clearly. As a major user of recycled hardware I've been badly bitten by this one. Sure, this isn't the most effective channel for such a complaint, but I think it does deserve some attention.

cheers,

tim
/|\