Re: Debconf7 BoF Session?

Hi Paul,

Paul Adams wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:24:06AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > a European Commission funded project (called SQO-OSS) that's looking
> > into methods for mining various forms of data associated with Free
> > Software, and so deriving metrics that could be used to judge the
> > quality of the software (I think that sums it up -- Paul, please
> > feel free to flesh that out).
>
> This sums it up very well and certainly enough to start with. We are
> mainly looking at code, CVS/SVN metadata, bugzilla and mailing list
> archives. The system is designed to be plugin-based and as a result QA
> teams would be able to measure all sorts of metrics against all sorts
> of data sources.

A similkar project, with probably different goals, is being carried out
in Madrid, Spain. See http://libresoft.urjc.es/

>From their home page: "The main research topic at the Universidad Rey
Juan Carlos is the quantitative measurement of libre software
development patterns and characteristics in order to gain knowledge on
the process, mainly by studying the different agents that participate in
it, the use of the different development and development-supporting
tools as well as the methods that have been followed"

They have published different papers (that I helped translate into
English) and have an impressive set of tools to achieve the task. I
would be happy to get you in touch with the researchers, should you be
interested.

> Yes. For example, you could measure the quality of the packages
> against the upstream version in order to identify what's good/bad
> about the processes being followed by package maintainers.

That sounds helpful.

Looking forward to meeting you at Debconf!

--
  ·''`.             If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution
 : :' :                                            -- Emma Goldman