Re: Debconf7 BoF Session?

Hi everyone,

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:24:06AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> I'd like to introduce Paul Adams of SiriusIT

It's nice to meet you all!

> -- he's currently involved in
> a European Commission funded project (called SQO-OSS) that's looking into
> methods for mining various forms of data associated with Free Software, and
> so deriving metrics that could be used to judge the quality of the software
> (I think that sums it up -- Paul, please feel free to flesh that out).

This sums it up very well and certainly enough to start with. We are
mainly looking at code, CVS/SVN metadata, bugzilla and mailing list
archives. The system is designed to be plugin-based and as a result QA
teams would be able to measure all sorts of metrics against all sorts
of data sources.

> At present they've mostly been using KDE as their data source, but would be
> interested in working with Debian as a data source, but also would be keen
> to help Debian run the tools

Yes. For example, you could measure the quality of the packages
against the upstream version in order to identify what's good/bad
about the processes being followed by package maintainers.

> Paul will be attending DebConf7 and would like to get together for a BoF,
> and/or a series of informal chats, so I was wondering who from QA will be
> there, and what you already had planned in the way of BoFs.

This would be an excellent way for you to learn more about the
project, what we're currently up to and what the possibilities for
SQO-OSS within Debian are.

I look forward to seeing you in Edinburgh.

All the best,
Paul

--
Paul Adams - Research Manager