Re: Question about obsolete Conflicts

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 12:46:23PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/03/07 at 07:34 +0100, Bart Martens wrote:
> > I think that it's difficult to find an approach for an efficient
> > all-packages review about old/obsolete conflicts.
>
> it might be interesting to talk to the EDOS people about that. It's
> possible that their tools could help to find obsolete conflict
> relationships easily.

Thanks for having thought of us :-) However, I think that in this case
the edos tool will not be of much help. Our dependency checker is
rather aimed at analysing long depndency/conflict chains in a
distribution. Here, the problem is rather a local one: in every package,
is there any relation to another package that is obsolete? An ad-hoc
parser for the Package file should be sufficient here.

BTW, I think that the cleanup should also apply to positive relations
(dependencies, suggests, recommends). For instance, if package a
depend on package b (>= 0.0.1) and if we are beyond 0.0.1 for ages then
we should drop that constraint.

-Ralf.