Re: automatic testing of dist-upgrades (was: Re: Ideas for additional large scale tests)

Filippo Giunchedi a écrit :
[opening a new thread, since it was the original idea]

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 02:59:59PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
I'm more worried about how you choose the environment you want to
dist-upgrade. Various criteria that come to my mind (braindump):
- base system only (pro: easy to set up, cons: tests a too small set of
  package)
- \forall task, base system + 1 task (pro: still easy to set up, tests a
  lot more packages, I guess all tasks taken together are a fair share
  of the packages in the archive, cons: do not upgrade issues induced by
  inter-task relationships)
- base system + a set of random selected packages (pro: easy to set up,
  tests inter-task issues, cons: non-idempotent, i.e. not easy to
  reproduce, no guarantees/idea about how much of the testing domain has
  been effectively tested)

I would add:

- base + most popular packages (arch-wise, modulo together-installability) - base + largest set of packages installable together (there's more than one)

the above sets can be found with the aid from the edos project, I had a quick
look at their tools but can't find an obvious solution.

Hello,

I'm in the edos project, and there are I think 2 set of tools which can be usefull: - dependencies management tools, probably anla, but I don't know the dependencies management tools enough in depth to give you a usefull answer. I have forwarded your mail to the people in charge of these tools
- testing tools, namely TULIP, which is a distribution upgrade testing tools

TULIP uses qemu to run automatic upgrades on 'virtual' installations; this way, you can test the dist-upgrade of several environments. The cons is that it is quite slow.

There is more information about TULIP on: http://www.edos-project.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/TULIP_tool

I think we have already an experimental TULIP installation working on Debian dist-upgrades.

François