Re: Testing system upgrade from sarge to etch

ti, 2006-03-14 kello 21:52 -0500, Justin Pryzby kirjoitti:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:02:06PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > I attempted to install all optional packages from sarge and do the test
> > with them, but that failed: it seems not all optional packages in sarge
> > are co-installable.
> What are the blacklisted packages, and why?

The only blacklisted package was lpr. I'm sorry that wasn't explicit.

> What "optional" sarge packages aren't co-installable?

Lots of them. I didn't keep a list.

> Policy [0] isn't crystal clear on
> this, but it would seem that this should be possible (right?)

Yes, it shouldn't be possible, according to Policy. It is somewhat
fairly well known that it is what happens, though. Frank Lichtenheld
reported his findings last year at [1]. Note that I didn't even try to
resolve the problems, yet, the script I attached does everything I
tried. I'll work on getting a more complete sarge chroot set up,
manually if necessary, later.

[1] http://djpig.livejournal.com/8299.html

--
It's 1978! Things should be round by now -- Michael Kelso (That 70's
show)