Re: Testing system upgrade from sarge to etch

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I've just ran it, and with the exception of lpr, there were no problems.
> lpr does cause a problem, but it seems to be because the chroot does not
> contain /proc and the preinst that runs on upgrade calls
> start-stop-daemon, which fails due to the lack of /proc. So, in the real
> world, I don't think there's a problem.
>
> I attempted to install all optional packages from sarge and do the test
> with them, but that failed: it seems not all optional packages in sarge
> are co-installable.

All optional is probably too much. What we should worry about is the set
of packages that are installed via the "tasks".

I'm jut not sure what the reference data is for tasks right now. It ought
to be tasksel with its /usr/share/tasksel/debian-tasks.desc file and a bit
combined with the Task: field in the Packages file.

Anyway, the idea is to install all packages which are listed in a task and
then try to upgrade.

But yes, this upgrade test is definitely a good thing, Bill Allombert was
already doing similar upgrade test (not as part of the QA group though).

Raphaël Hertzog