Re: Debian QA meeting - planning talks

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 04:28:43PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> writes:
> > On Sunday 26 November 2006 21:18, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> Yeah, agreed.  And for that, one could start with the run that Bill did
> >> while waiting to get the lintian.debian.org version updated.
>
> > Have you seen the video about Jeroens mole framework? (linked here:
> > http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2006/qa-meeting-badajoz/ )
>
> > Mole is already up and running, see
> > http://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/mole.py?source=cdebconf for an example. What
> > would be nice now, would be a view with only the more severe lintian
> > errors...
>
> Uh, no.  I've not heard a thing about it before now other than Jeroen's
> initial discussions on lint-maint, and I got the impression from him that
> it wasn't working yet since I did some work to help it integrate with
> lintian to which I never got a response.

At that time, the "running-lintian" bit was working as it does now, but
there indeed was no web interface. My initial plan was to generate
a lintian.log file from mole to feed into the lintian.debian.org web
page scripts. Russ indeed made such a script, and I worked from there on
lintian.d.o; unfortunately those reporting scripts nearly fell apart
from just looking at them and I couldn't get them to generate updated
lintian.d.o pages. I unfortunately failed to communicate this to you,
Russ, sorry.

> It's cool that it's working.  What version of lintian is it using?  The
> page it generates does need some work, though, in compressing the results
> into something more like a current lintian summary.

Yes, the web interface as it is now was programmed in like 1 hour time.
The source is at merkel:/org/qa.debian.org/mole/python/Mole/web.py, and
pretty hardcoded on all accounts (hardcoded to only show lintian, not
other stuff from mole, and to only show unstable (while it's now
possible to also show testing and experimental). Oh, and except for
printing out backtraces there's no error handling.

> I'd still like to fix lintian.debian.org, but currently can't because I
> don't have the appropriate access.

I hope that one day the mole webinterface can be a proper superset of
what lintian.d.o currently provides. As for lintian.d.o as it is now,
I'm not very motivated to put much effort in it, I'd rather work on
mole.

People who want to help on this web interface are more than welcome, if
you're in the qa group you can test it yourself by adding a cgi like
mole.py to /org/qa.debian.org/cgi-bin (and committing the code if you
feel it's better than what's there now), if not, you can either request
qa group membership, or ask someone[1] to add a simple cgi calling code on
your $HOME.

As to the version, I can pretty easily upgrade to 1.23.27, but that'd
take quite some resources off gluck that I didn't want to spend until
now because there wasn't a usable web interface anyway. Just send me a
mail and I'll fire off 1.23.27.

--Jeroen

[1] on merkel, run: "getent group qa"

--