Re: Orphaned packages with very low popcon numbers

This one time, at band camp, Luk Claes wrote:
>How can we be sure the packages are of decent quality if almost noone
>uses them? How can we be sure there are (almost) no unreported RC bugs
>for instance?

If a tree falls in a forest, and no-one is there to hear it, does it make a
sound?

How can you be sure there are no unreported RC bugs in the popular packages?

In other words, if almost no-one uses them, does it matter if the packages
are of decent quality?  Also, if almost no-one uses them, how do you know
they're of bad quality?

I think you should be looking for some additional metrics for package
removal, such as age, date of last upload, for example, in addition to size
of install base, before deciding that a package is stale.  (Because IMHO, if
a package has no bugs filed against it, you can't honestly say you want to
file for removal because it's potentially buggy.)