Re: Packages which build-depend on libtool1.4

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [050318 14:14]:
> > We should make libtool 1.5.6 and autoconf 2.5 (*required for libtool 1.5.6),
> > as well as no usage of external autotools/libtool/autopoint (gettext) but
> > always using the Debian packaged versions a release goal for etch.
> >
> > That will get a lot of people whose upstream still thinks they can get away
> > with autoconf 2.13 and libtool/automake 1.4 forever pissed, [...]
> > [...]
> > 3. Get rid of a LOT of bitrot.
> >
> > What do you guys think?  Should it be refined to the point of being a
> > proposal to be posted to -devel?
>
> What about making all software compile with -W -Werror? Or even better:
> Fix all buffer overflows in any software packaged in Debian? </sarkasm>

If I were going that way, I would suggest valgrind and not something know to
be useless and boneheaded (using -W -Werror outside of your development
system).  So skip the useless sarcasm.

You did skip all the parts about the problems with libtool 1.4, and gettext.
What about those?  For stuff that only uses automake/autoconf, without
libtool or gettext, it is just a maintability issue.  But for stuff using
gettext and libtool, it involves real code.

  Henrique Holschuh