Re: Packages which build-depend on libtool1.4

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> [2005-03-18 12:32]:
> > some time ago) we may need to upgrade them all to libtool 1.5 or
> > whatever. Not that we can do anything against that (keeping libtool 1.4
> > and any other version forever is obviously no option) but perhaps it
> > would be good to file wishlist bugs at a certain point to update those
> > packages (or preferably let upstream do it).

We should make libtool 1.5.6 and autoconf 2.5 (*required for libtool 1.5.6),
as well as no usage of external autotools/libtool/autopoint (gettext) but
always using the Debian packaged versions a release goal for etch.

That will get a lot of people whose upstream still thinks they can get away
with autoconf 2.13 and libtool/automake 1.4 forever pissed, but probably the
only package we will have to tolerate violating that rule is gnucash (whose
build system is something out of hell) and glibc/whatever (which we should
not even bother with touching, since it is likely they have forked whatever
they use a LONG time ago anyway).

Use of Debian-packaged libtool, gettext and autoconf is likely to:

1. Fix a number of hidden bugs on trash that comes from upstream (and I
   do mean broken libtool and gettext libs, which might even have security
   issues in gettext's case -- although that is far-fetched).

2. Improve maintaibility of the packages by anyone doing QA work a
   great deal, since we will be able to regen the entire toolchain if we
   need to without expending about 4h trying to figure out what the hell is
   broken this time.

3. Get rid of a LOT of bitrot.

What do you guys think?  Should it be refined to the point of being a
proposal to be posted to -devel?  I know the libtool maintainer (which is
also upstream) would certainly like the idea very much so, from talks at
debconf 4.   It appears some critical problems are to be found on libtool
<<1.6 (1.5.6 in Debian).

  Henrique Holschuh