Re: [debian-jr] Re: Candidates for removal

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 01:46:37PM -0500, Sam Hart wrote:
> Well, I can't help on the font issues (I have contacted Jesse Andrews
> and some of the others who worked on the project after me to see if they
> can point me to where they came from... most likely external
> contributors)... however, for the images I'd be more than happy to find
> or make replacements to any ones which are really questionable.

OOC, is Tux Typing using TTF fonts directly, or pre-rendered bitmaps?
I'm guessing the former, for i18n reasons.  If the latter, however, some
fonts allow _use_ (as in, you can make something with the font and ship that),
but not redistribution.

(Typically, font licenses have restrictions all over the board, and
the licenses are poorly written.  Not to mention the oodles of "free
font" sites out there that ship raw TTF files w/o any license info...
they just seem to download font ZIPs from everywhere, unzip the whole load
of them, and delete everything but the TTFs.  Idiots!)

Of course, I inadvertendly used some Apple Macintosh font which I found
sitting (as a TTF file) in some IceWM theme, or something.  The Debian folks
pointed that out to me, and I directed them to the theme, which was also
being dist'd by Debian. ;^)

-bill!