Re: Bug reports for removed packages

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:27:24AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [050819 23:39]:
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 05:44:30PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > * Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) [050819 17:36]:

> > > It used to be ok to close bugs, but as we have now version tracking, you
> > > might want to only add appropriate version numbers (so that the bugs
> > > don't look closed in oldstable).
> >
> > But that's only applicable if there is in fact a version number in which
> > the bug was closed; if the package was removed without the bug ever
> > having been fixed, closing with a version number doesn't make any sense
> > here.
>
> Hm, but just plainly closing is also not right.
>
> Basically, there should be no reason to close any of the bug reports, as
> version tracking should be able to find out by its own that the package
> is gone. I don't know if that works.

No sign that it does from http://bugs.debian.org/ipac .

Speaking of the new version tracking, how does done differ from
'notfound' in the latest version? A user reported a bug recently in the
woody version of a package of mine; when they tested it with the sarge
or unstable version, we realised that it was user error. I said
'notfound' in the unstable version, but that isn't closed.
Is closed an obselete idea?

thanks,
Hamish