Re: Bug reports for removed packages

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 06:10:36PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:27:24AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [050819 23:39]:

> > > But that's only applicable if there is in fact a version number in which
> > > the bug was closed; if the package was removed without the bug ever
> > > having been fixed, closing with a version number doesn't make any sense
> > > here.

> > Hm, but just plainly closing is also not right.

> > Basically, there should be no reason to close any of the bug reports, as
> > version tracking should be able to find out by its own that the package
> > is gone. I don't know if that works.

> No sign that it does from http://bugs.debian.org/ipac .

> Speaking of the new version tracking, how does done differ from
> 'notfound' in the latest version? A user reported a bug recently in the
> woody version of a package of mine; when they tested it with the sarge
> or unstable version, we realised that it was user error. I said
> 'notfound' in the unstable version, but that isn't closed.
> Is closed an obselete idea?

"notfound" cancels out a previous "found" command; "close" marks the bug
as fixed in that version.  If there is no previously matching "found"
record for the specified version, "notfound" will have no effect, but
(based on what I've seen at least) a "close" command will mark the bug
as fixed in the specified version and all derived versions, whether or not
there was a previous "found" record for that specific version.