Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com> writes:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> writes:
>> The effort to upload a package is still the same: Integrating patches
>> into a package is something every DD should be able to do (either using
>> the .diff.gz directly or by leaving the patch management to dbs, cdbs'
>> simple-patchsys, dpatch, quilt, ...) in a few minutes - while checking a
>> package before uploading takes a lot more time, especially if you don't
>> know the package.
> Checking a package that is already in the Debian archive is quickly done
> by doing a diff between the current code in svn and the code available
> in unstable.

NACK. I don't see it this way: Sponsoring a package (and that's what
you're doing here) always means to take responsibility for its
bugs. You can't just point to the original maintainer (who, errr, didn't
take care of it, so it's probably not in the best shape) and say that
he's responsible for all bugs you haven't fixed.

> If the history of the package is in subversion, this diff creation is
> easy (because the last upload would have been tagged properly).

How is it not easy to diff between the version you prepared and the
version you want to upload? Last time I looked, a apt-get source foobar
&& diff -Nwru foobar-old foobar-new was enough to get a diff.

Marc
--
BOFH #435:
Internet shut down due to maintainance