Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

> > - with the bug tracking system, you have a patch which sleeps there for
> >   years, waiting for someone to care
>
> Because, of course, the debian bts is inaccessible to everyone but
> debian developers...

Recently (a few months ago) the debian-qa team did an update of dvidvi,
applying the patches that were in the BTS. Before that, bugs have been
in open state, some with patches attached, for more than 5 years.

Despite your unfair position, that does happen. And it is because
it has happened that Raphael and I tried to figure out a solution.

Of course, you might think that a system in which bugs can stay opened
during years, with patches available at the hand, is a good system and
that it should not change.

Using svn to store the patches will not solve every problem, it will
just give a chance to a *user* to use the patched version with minimal
efforts. And, yes, a patch in a BTS is only accessible to developpers,
not to users. Users does not know how to apply a patch and compile a
program, this is why they use a distribution.

Regards,

	Benjamin.