Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

First post on -qa for me, I am not a DD and I joined the list after
Raphael's QA talk at RMLL.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:19:57AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com> wrote:
> Le mercredi 20 juillet 2005 à 17:52 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG a écrit :
> > Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com> writes:
> >
> > > But building packages from a suvbersion repository can be done
> > > automatically. So yes, we could provide automatically unofficial
> > > packages to the users.
> >
> > I'm fine with that, but I'm against making them official packages.
>
> That's not your call. The DD who checks the package decides if he wants
> to upload it or not.

What's the difference between your proposal and :

- Some DDs with free time decide to co-maintain packages which :
  - don't require too much work
  - are orphaned or not well maintained
  - have (power-)users willing to help with the maintainership
- To do so, they use a mailing list, a wiki, etc, and a SVN repository
- Write access to this SVN repository is given to the (power-)users
  willing to help
- DDs will try to rely mostly on the (non-DD) users for package
  maintenance tasks. Ideally, they would only be in charge of the
  package uploads.

Presented like that, it might look less world-changing.

The issue that hasn't been raised yet (I think) is granularity :
- How many alioth projects ? One for all packages ? One per package ?
- How many mailing lists ? One global for all packages ? One per
  package + one global ?
- How many SVN repositories ? One for all packages ? One per package ?