Re: The PTS should list Ubuntu patches

Le mardi 19 juillet 2005 à 11:46 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> Why are changes made by one particular derived debian distribution so
> important that they should be singled out by the PTS?

Because they're doing a good job and because those changes are done by
DD ... and because the interest of both parties is to integrate their
changes when it makes sense.

Ubuntu is nothing more than 20 DD and having 20 DD communicates
individually with 500 others maintainers (of the modified packages)
would make them do nothing else ... so the idea is to let the 500 Debian
maintainers integrate what they want without involving too much work on
the Ubuntu side. For that to happen, the maintainer must be aware that
the patch exist ... that's why I want to modify the PTS.

> Wouldn't it be more useful if the PTS highlighted patches that are actually of interest
> by those of our users who care enough about working with Debian to file
> patches in the BTS?

That's an excellent suggestion !

I just implemented it.

I modified my script process-index.pl on merkel so that my stats
includes the number of bugs with the patch tag and without the pending
one (it's the last field).
http://merkel.debian.org/~hertzog/pts/bugs.txt

And then I use this info to add a new TODO item in the PTS. Examples:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gnue-common.html

> There are currently 2153 unapplied patches in the BTS. That rather
> dwarfs Ubuntu's patches, and unlike Ubuntu's, they are guaranteed to be
> relevant to Debian and to have an explanation attached.

Agreed.

> Highlighting the
> ones that haven't even had a maintainer reply would be really useful.

I haven't been so far however.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org