Re: The PTS should list Ubuntu patches

Why are changes made by one particular derived debian distribution so
important that they should be singled out by the PTS? Wouldn't it be
more useful if the PTS highlighted patches that are actually of interest
by those of our users who care enough about working with Debian to file
patches in the BTS?

There are currently 2153 unapplied patches in the BTS. That rather
dwarfs Ubuntu's patches, and unlike Ubuntu's, they are guaranteed to be
relevant to Debian and to have an explanation attached. Highlighting the
ones that haven't even had a maintainer reply would be really useful.

Just to single out one of my own packages, if I went to
pts.debian.org/base-config[1] and it reminded me that I have:
  - a patch from Bubulle to make it inherit d-i's mirror config
  - a patch from Petter to clarify what characters are allowed in a hostname
  - a patch from Markos allow selection of KDE or Gnome
  - a patch from Colin (Ubuntu) to reduce the amount of Debian branding
I'd feel encouraged to go look at some of those and apply them (as I'm
actually doing right now). On the other hand if it reminded me that Ubuntu
has a monolithic 1.5 mb diff that includes some similar changes, thousands of
lines of branding changes, a bunch of ugly hacks, and many other changes all
in one useless lump, I would only be frustrated.

--
see shy jo

[1] Or whatever it really is; the lack of easy urls to the PTS keep me
    from using it much.