Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 09:14:19AM +0200, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
This proposal aims to fill the blank in such situations.

What blank? I checked--there are *no* patches in the BTS for dvidvi.
Maybe if there were some patches out there and the argument was about
making the process easier or somesuch you'd have an easier sell. But
what I see right now is a package that has no devloper[1] and nobody
willing to put some time into creating patches, and a proposal that if
we had some magic technology that situation would suddenly change. Why
would it? There still needs to be a developer in the loop, the developer
is going to have to understand why any changes are in the package before
it is uploaded, and bts is an known, demonstrably useful, existing
interface to facilitate that in debian. If a package is so all-fired
important why is nobody banging down the doors to submit bugs and/or
patches for it? (And why would that same apathetic user base suddenly
become more active with the creation of some deus ex machina tool?)

Mike Stone

[1] Yes, damnit, I mean *debian* devloper, since we are talking about
the debian distribution on a mailing list hosted at debian.org. I really
don't care in that context whether there are non-debian devlopers.