Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:07:28PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > Packages need to have maintainers -- meaning, someone needs to take
> > responsibility for the package.  Orphaned packages *routinely* slip into
> > stable releases with release critical bugs that have been in the package
> > for a year or more, sometimes even introduced by a QA upload.  We don't
> > know if these packages have users, but we *do* know there's no one in a
> > position of responsibility over the packages who's using them and is
> > fixing bugs that appear during use!

> After having spent a couple of hours looking at the bug database for
> orphaned packages yesterday, my feeling is that what orphaned packages
> really need are users who will actually use reportbug.

Yes.  And whereas a package with a maintainer has a guaranteed minimum of
one user concerned with the state of the Debian package, a package without a
maintainer has a guaranteed minimum of zero such users.

> I think that if we had active users of a package who would report the bugs
> when they happen, orphaned packages wouldn't be as much of a risk.  They
> have undetected RC bugs not because there isn't a maintainer so much as
> because there are no users reporting those bugs into the BTS.

I agree, but I don't see any way to guarantee that orphaned packages have
users that are engaged on this level.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer