Re: Standards for QA uploads?

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:39:44PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> -------8<---------
>
> QA UPLOAD BEST PRACTICES
>
> When making an upload on a package maintained by the QA team, it is
> important to keep some basic points in mind to ensure that these packages
> are kept in good order while they wait for a new maintainer.  Consistency is
> a valuable commodity.
>
> * If you're going to be working on a QA upload for a while, notify
> debian-qa@lists.debian.org, and probably the bug reports you're hacking on,
> of your intentions.  This minimises duplicated work, and helps people know
> what's going on.

setiing the owner of the bug might also good. During BSPs I usually rely
on claiming the bug instead though because that's more obvious for the
other participants then.

> * It is useful to note that the upload you are making is a QA one in the
> changelog, for future reference.  Something like "* QA Upload" as the first
> item in the changelog is sufficient.
>
> * Packages "maintained" by the QA team don't have a real maintainer,
> therefore nobody can do a real "maintainer upload".  Hence there is no point
> differentiating NMUs, so don't use NMU version numbering for your uploads.
> [To be practical, every DD is a potential QA team member, and is therefore
> the co-maintainer for orphaned packages.  And a very long string of NMU
> version numbers is ugly, especially when new upstream versions are packaged
> by QA.]
>
> * In most aspects of preparing a QA upload, follow NMU policy.  Things like
> ensuring your changes are as minimal as possible, and thoroughly testing
> your changes, is very important.  Since you're not the regular maintainer,
> you probably won't understand what's being done as thoroughly as you would
> for your own packages, so ensure you're not subtly breaking something with
> your changes.
>
> * After you make your upload, subscribe to the package's PTS entry to watch
> for any bug reports which might come in as a result of your new upload.

As pointed out before, subscribe to the mailing list instead.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/