Re: plans on orphaning / removing packages not in testing

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:36:50AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:42:32PM +0200, Adeodato Sim? wrote:
> >   then do not many orphaned packages (if not most) fit into one of the
> >   proposed resons and should be removed from testing?
> >
> >   I think many packages could benefite from this in-the-middle approach:
> >   instead of completely removing them from debian or letting them get
> >   released with stable, they just stay in unstable and never migrate.
> >
> >   it would not be keeping them "just for the shake of keeping them"
> >   either. it would be keeping those that may be of some interest for
> >   some users, but which don't qualify as release quality and are not
> >   being maintained at all (except for sporadic QA uploads).
>
> But that would generally mean that due to dependencies, users interested in
> these "too hard basket" packages had to run unstable (or sizeable parts
> thereof) in order to install them... I guess it depends on your target
> audience for such packages...

In most cases, as they wouldn't have been majorly worked on for quite some
time, a rebuild in your local environment should be all that's needed to
sort them out.  Not to mention that if there hasn't been a rebuild in a
while, their dependencies will still be those of the older package.

- Matt