Re: add debian/watch file to packages

[CC'ing debian-qa since it might be of some interest]

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:08:12PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> On [14/01/04  1:13], Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> > Usually it is expected for a DD to follow or at least be subscribed to program
> > developing, while this is true for big projects this is false for small projects
> > and there using debian/watch would be really useful. Unfortunately it is not
> > habit to include the file, possible solutions are to mass-filing wishlist bugs
>
> I'm not in favour of this idea, since I've working relationships to the
> upstream authors of the packages that I maintain. They always inform me
> via e-Mail if they make a new release and sometimes even which changes
> the release contains. So I'm not going to include an watch files since
> there's no need for them and I would close any bugreport asking for
> them. Using watch files should be an individual decision for each
> maintainer to use or not.

indeed it is individual but I think the general case is: (busy) maintainer with a
lot of small packages and subscribed to <software>-devel mailing list, so it's
easy to miss a new release of a software. There watch files might help instead
of the casual user browsing the website and notice the package is not
up-to-dated. OTOH having the PTS stating "new upstream version available blah
blah" can reduce BRs like "hey, a new release is out! could you please update
this package?"

kind regards and thanks for feedback!
filippo
--
Filippo Giunchedi
GNU/PG key: 6B79D401

I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
-- Groucho Marx