Re: No response from ftpmaintainers!

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> First of all it is not a true policy, and should not be seen as
> a such, yet.

Heh, but what the java list people failed to understand is that any
'*policy' WILL be taken as true policy, no matter what you name it, and
therefore if it tries to do something people object to, it will be dealth
accordingly (and the Debian way is, unfortunately, to ignore it until it
disapears).

I.e. it would be actually easier to go through the normal policy process for
stuff like this.

> Long time ago the debian-java@l.d.o list was created for java packaging
> and more. Back then it was Stephane Bortzmeyer who was the
> policy author. Now I have take over the packages and also the
> proposed java policy. As I have understood the list was created because
> all people did not want to have java discussions on debian-devel and
> so I kept the discussions on debian-java@l.d.o.

Yep. But since the policy is now ready, and it is not being accepted without
complains, a RFC to -devel (crossposted to -java, probably) seems needed.

> Well almost the only one on debian-java@l.d.o who did not want the dummy
> packages is myself. Personaly I have no problem with removing them but
> lot of other people seems to have.

Heh, without much extra reading on the java issues, I should say that I
would also be initially opposed to a bunch of "-dummy" packages (of -any-
sort) entering Debian.

> packages. But if people wants to toss them away I have no problem with that.

If the -java ML crew can convince the -devel people that a bunch of -dummy
packages (not one, or two, but a couple of them for every java ABI change)
is a sound technical solutions, so be it. If they cannot, tossing those
packages away will be what you will have to do...

> Must RFC things be held on debian-devel or where should I put it?

-devel, crossposted to -java, since the -java crew failed to come up with
something that everyone in Debian either agreed or felt neutral to when
working alone.

> Well that is interesting. On debian-java people want the -dummy and
> on other places they do not want it. Anyway I'll remove it if that
> is what it takes.

The -java people can want all they want :)  If they cannot convince most of
the other devels that the objections to their dummy packages are unsound,
then they will have to do without the dummy packages.

  Henrique Holschuh