Re: No response from ftpmaintainers!

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I do not take it personal and actually I appriciate
it. :)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:03:55PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > I have raised this question before, but now I'm a bit frustrated.
>
> I think you will get a LOT more frustated on this issue. Let me give you a
> friendly advice: don't take it personally (it probably isn't, anyway), and
> go through the policy procedures or a RFC to resolve the issue.

First of all it is not a true policy, and should not be seen as
a such, yet.

Well I thought I have done that... I'll try to describe it here.
Long time ago the debian-java@l.d.o list was created for java packaging
and more. Back then it was Stephane Bortzmeyer who was the
policy author. Now I have take over the packages and also the
proposed java policy. As I have understood the list was created because
all people did not want to have java discussions on debian-devel and
so I kept the discussions on debian-java@l.d.o.

See more below.

> > I want to have contact with a ftp maintainer or some other
> > person. The thing is that I have two source packages with
>
> Try IRC, you might have more luck there. But I warn you this is NOT going to
> help from what I know about how these things work around here. You will most
> likely hear what you don't want to.

I see.

> > -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       4450 Nov 14 03:17 java-compiler-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> > -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       4256 Nov 14 03:17 java-virtual-machine-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> > -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       2424 Nov 14 03:17 java1-runtime-dummy_0.8_all.deb
> > -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       1522 Nov 14 03:12 java2-compiler-dummy_0.1_all.deb
> > -rw-r--r--    1 opal     Debian       1546 Nov 14 03:12 java2-runtime-dummy_0.1_all.deb
> >
> > These packages are quite important because they describe the
> > proposed java policy which is some kind of guideline for how
> > to package java packages. They also provide some dummy packages
>
> The problem is, from what I've read around, that key people do NOT agree
> with the -dummy stuff. So the ftp admins are not accepting the upload. And
> that is holding down the rest of the stuff.

Well that is a interesting thing. Right now theese packages do already
exist in the archive. Well not all of them, but some:
http://packages.debian.org/java-compiler-dummy
http://packages.debian.org/java-virtual-machine

So the new ones is java1-runtime-dummy, java2-compiler-dummy,
java2-runtime-dummy.

> I suggest you get the 'java minipolicy' that proposes this -dummy stuff,
> summarize the key threads that lead to that policy (pay special attention to
> the posts that did NOT agree with the proposed solutions), and post an RFC
> to -devel. Either that, or do it through debian-policy to get the java
> minipolicy into policy itself.

Well almost the only one on debian-java@l.d.o who did not want the dummy
packages is myself. Personaly I have no problem with removing them but
lot of other people seems to have.

> BTW, this is more or less proper procedure. If anyone objects to a policy
> change (and yes, mini-policies are included in this), you HAVE to deal with
> it or the policy proposal is not accepted and stays in limbo. And the person
> objecting the changes need not be key people to get the change tossed in the
> wastebasket; anyone can do that.

Well that is true. The thing is that the proposed policy was changed to
handle java2 as well as java1 and then there was a need for more dummy
packages. But if people wants to toss them away I have no problem with that.

> If the RFC thread fails to give you a good enough response from the project
> (and mind you, I certainly do not mean a response you want to hear -- I mean
> a firm, public standing one way or the other), there are other methods you
> can employ. But I don't think it will go this far (and those other methods
> won't resolve the issue fast, either).

Must RFC things be held on debian-devel or where should I put it?

Regards,

// Ola

> > How can this be resolved?
> See above.

I'll happily remove the dummy stuff. But probably some java
maintainers will grunt... :)

> > Is the ftpadmins MIA?
> No. They are overworked as always, I am sure. But hardly MIA.

That sounds good to hear. I recieved a mail who said he thought they
were MIA. I did not really believe it so I asked (here).

> > Or is there simply a problem with their mail so they do not
> > get what I'm sending them? (both a bug and a mail).
> Dunno. I am not one of them...

Ok.

> > response from any ftpadmin about what I should do?
> Don't wait for their reply. At least one person sent you a clue of what
> might be happening -- I know that for a fact, because I certainly read what
> I repeated on the first paragraph of this email somewhere, and that somewhere
> was a public Debian forum (even if I can't recall which).

I know that fact too. I replied with my arguments but did not get any
further replies.

> Do what they require from you: either get a lot of people to agree with you
> and deal with all objections, as per the proper policy process, or remove
> the -dummy packages which seem to be the contentious issue.

Well that is interesting. On debian-java people want the -dummy and
on other places they do not want it. Anyway I'll remove it if that
is what it takes.

> BTW, I have not read the java mini-policy, nor have I "choosen" sides re.
> this issue.

Finally I want to thank you for your reply. I really appriciate it. I
also hope that you do not take it personal either. I just want to
state my arguments. :)

Regards,

// Ola