Re: What's the list's idea of Quality Assurance

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:16:16PM -0300, Hilton Fernandes wrote:
> So, my question is: what do you think or do about software testing?  Do you
> think it is unfeasible, due to the huge number of packages?  Do you rely on
> informal user experience?

AFAICS the testing mechanism is the main "regression test". There is a
package called debian-test that provides a kind of framework for
regression test, but it is quite unfilled.

> You work is obviously very important, but these tests, if feasible, could be
> also of some help. ;-)

There are quite a few packages which do compile-time checks (gcc for
example) but they a) take up resources on the autobuilders and b) don't
check the packaging.

The other point is, that because of loose dependencies the test may run
with different libraries on the autobuilder than on the users machine.
The debian-test package helps here, because it can move the testing to
the users machine. On the other hand this may prohibit more in depth
testing because of the heightened resource consumption (diskspace, CPU,
memory, bandwidth).

Just because it just crossed my mind: Regression testing of packaging
scripts sounds very hard, because having stubs and drivers for them may
be non-trivial.

Regards, David

PS: Your Message-ID is borken:
<[🔎] 02040719553107.01032@localhost.localdomain>
--
Signaturen sind wie Frauen. Man findet selten eine Vernuenftige
	-- gesehen in at.linux